theSpace @ Surgeons' Hall - Theatre 2
The Royal College of Surgeons (Quincentenary Hall)
Address - for flyer & poster delivery
No earlier than 0900 on Monday July 29th 2019 to:
Venue 43 Symposium Hall
King Khalid Building
The Royal College of Surgeons
Box Office Phone Number
+44 (0)131 510 2384
Box Office Email
Production Team Phone Number
+44 (0)131 510 2391
Production Team Email
If arriving by train, leave Edinburgh Waverley Station by the main exit on to Waverley Bridge and turn left. At the mini roundabout cross over onto Cockburn Street. At the top of Cockburn Street turn left on to the Royal Mile. At the mini roundabout cross over onto Cockburn Street. At the top of Cockburn Street turn left onto the Royal Mile and immediately right on to North Bridge.
Continue along North Bridge until it becomes Nicholson Street, The Royal College of Surgeons is on your left opposite the Festival Theatre.
It is recommended to try to park on Drummond Street, and carry items round the corner to the front entrance. Please ask your pre-production manager for advice regarding load-in of bulky items.
The stage area is 5 x 2m in size. It is constructed of staging units and is raised 20cm. To preserve the paint finish please ensure your costume does not use shoes with stiletto heels. Small spike marks are permitted - we advise initialling them or using coloured tape to distinguish them, and cut rather than tearing for longevity.
There is space at either side of the raised stage to extend the acting area.
Three entrances are provided, at upstage centre and in each of the downstage corners. Crossover is possible between the three entrances and there is a small backstage space.
Onstage height clearance is approximately 2.5m.
The venue is fully carpeted and fully enclosed with black drapes. Seating is in two blocks with a central aisle; the auditorium seats 49 audience and one FOH manager. The venue is one of three accessed from a central foyer area where the box office is situated.
There is no dedicated dressing room at the venue; access to the performance space is permitted only during your slot so we advise arriving ready to start. There are toilets accessed from the foyer.
There is very limited storage space available, both behind the theatre drapes and in a central storeroom shared with Theatres 1 and 3. Let us know in advance about your set design plans.
Please make your Pre-Production Manager aware of any fragile items you wish to use, and ensure they are carefully wrapped and packed in storage to avoid breakage by others in the confined storage area.
Costumes should be taken away with you or stored in large cases/crates for protection. Anything required for show promotion or performances elsewhere must be taken away daily as no access is possible outside your slot.
Refer to the FAQ for details of permitted and restricted set design materials.
The lighting and sound control position is in the auditorium in the far corner. There is no comms or cue light system to backstage.
Theatre 2 has a compact lighting rig comprising conventional profiles and LED beamlights.
- Front light: 6x Robe ROBIN ParFect 100. LED fixtures fitted with diffusion to give a spread similar to a fan of conventional fresnels. Red, Green, Blue and White levels can be controlled separately for each fixture at the desk, or they can be paired. Obtain a full range of wash colours or use colour change effects to enhance your show. Alternatively they can operate in a "tungsten mode" and take gels to mimic a conventional light.
- Back light: 2x Robe ROBIN ParFect 100.
- 2x 500w profiles mounted on the truss. May be re-gelled and re-focussed to your requirements (bring gel to your own design)
- 2 x 500w Coda Floods controlled from the lighting console (1 channel).
- 3 channels of dimming powered from the standard ring main.
- Jands CL LED lighting control desk.
The sound system is designed primarily for playback of music and effects.
Sound reinforcement, except for certain live music acts, is not necessary in this venue.
- 1 compact disc player.
- 3.5mm mini-jack cable supplied to connect additional equipment such as an MP3 player or laptop computer.
- 8 channel analogue sound desk.
- 2 channel power amplifier
- 2x Tannoy V8 or V12 loudspeakers
Speakers are arranged in a stereo configuration and mounted on stands to the left and right of the stage, behind the drapes.
These may be shared with adjacent theSpaceUK venues so please let us know if you wish to use any of the following:
- 2 x Shure SM58 microphones with stands.
- 1 x DI box for electric pianos etc.
Audio multicore between the stage and control position.
This theatre is in close proximity to two others (one adjoining) so sound levels should show consideration to other performances in progress. At all our venues staff reserve the right to limit sound levels for the sake of other venues or building users, or for reasons or public health.
Please see our FAQ on projection - we don't provide a projector or screen, and our staff are not trained in the operation of projectors. Projection effects are particularly hard to achieve in this venue due to height clearance, stage size and lack of hanging space for a projector. We do not recommend the use of projection in this venue so please let us know in advance if you wish to use it in your performance so we can work out the ideal arrangement.
It may be possible to hang a projector from the truss, though if other companies wished to do the same a sharing agreement would need to be reached - please discuss your plans with your pre-production manager.
Screens may be floor standing (preferably) or hung from the scaffolding supporting the upstage drapes.
Bringing additional equipment
Space is limited for the use of additional lighting fixtures. Any use of your own equipment must be discussed with your Pre-Production Manager in advance; please see our FAQ regarding electrical equipment.
The shows that are most successful are those that maintain good communication with their Pre-Production Manager throughout their development.
Aside from generally keeping us in the loop with your plans, and responding to requests for information by given deadlines, you must contact us in good time if:
- you wish to use the space differently;
- you want to hang anything from the scaffolding or truss;
- your show requires the use of a projector;
- you are planning on bringing any of your own (or hired) equipment;
- you wish to use any special effects;
- you have any items of set that require access or storage considerations;
- you would like advice on making the most of the venue or achieving a particular artistic effect; or
- you are unsure about any aspect of your arrival, load-in, technical rehearsal or show day routine that is not answered in the FAQs.
Plans and downloads