theSpace @ Surgeons' Hall - Fleming
The Royal College of Surgeons (Quincentenary Hall)
Address - for flyer & poster delivery
No earlier than 0900 on Monday July 31st 2023 to:
Venue 43 Symposium Hall
King Khalid Building
The Royal College of Surgeons
Tickets will primarily be sold through the Fringe Box Office: https://tickets.edfringe.com/ or by telephone (June - August): +44 (0)131 226 0000
During the Fringe the venue can be reached in the following ways:
- Queries about shows and the venue in general can be directed to our Shed Team on email@example.com or +44 (0)131 510 2384
- The Venue Production Team can be contacted directly on firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)131 510 2394
If arriving by train, leave Edinburgh Waverley Station by the main exit on to Waverley Bridge and turn left. At the mini roundabout cross over onto Cockburn Street. At the top of Cockburn Street turn left onto the Royal Mile and immediately right on to North Bridge.
Continue along North Bridge until it becomes Nicholson Street, The Royal College of Surgeons is on your left opposite the Festival Theatre.
It is recommended to try to park on Drummond Street, and carry items round the corner to the front entrance. The Fleming Theatre is accessed by a fairly narrow coridor with right angled turnes. Please ask your pre-production manager for advice regarding load-in of bulky items.
The stage area is approximately 6 x 3m (tapered towards the rear where it is 4m wide) and is flat on the floor. It is covered with black PVC dance floor, so to preserve the finish please ensure your costume does not use shoes with stiletto heels. Small spike marks are permitted - we advise initialling them or using coloured tape to distinguish them, and cut rather than tearing for longevity.
There is a very small backstage space behind the black drapes at the rear of the stage. There are two entrances in the drapes in the USL and USR locations. Onstage grid clearance approximately 3m.
The venue is a lecture theatre with upholstered seats. It's enclosed with wooden slat panelling. The auditorium is raked and seats 117 audience, one FOH manager and two ushers.
There is no dedicated dressing room at the venue. There are toilets adjacent.
There is very little storage in the venue, and a limited amount available in an adjacent room. Please contact your Pre-Production Manager to discuss anything you wish to store.
Please make your Pre-Production Manager aware of any fragile items you wish to use, and ensure they are carefully wrapped and packed in storage to avoid breakage by others in the confined, dark area.
Costumes should be taken away with you or stored in large cases/crates for protection. Anything required for show promotion or performances elsewhere must be taken away daily as no access is possible outside your slot.
Refer to the FAQ for details of permitted and restricted set design materials.
The lighting and sound control position is in the auditorium on a raised platform at the rear. There is no comms or cue light system to backstage.
The venue has a complete and flexible LED-based lighting rig, fully equipped for any Fringe production. The rig is mounted on a truss structure that encloses the stage.
Your technical rehearsal will go more smoothly if your lighting designer can contact us in advance with your requirements and/or how you are planning to use the rig.
The fixed-focus rig comprises:
- Front light: 10x Briteq EC100 MK2 LED WW Fresnels in 5 sections across the stage with a further 3 x for upstage cover. (Open white)
- Back light: 3x ETC ColorSource LED PARs mounted to the rear of the stage.
- Side light: 4x ETC ColorSource LED PARs.
Specials may be re-focussed to your design.
- 3 x ETC ColorSource LED Zoom Profiles on the front truss
- Showtec Cameleon 15 Q4 LED floods controlled from the lighting console
- Zero 88 FLX S24 Console
The sound system is designed for everything from effects to small scale musical theatre.
- 3.5mm mini-jack cable supplied to connect additional equipment such as an MP3 player or laptop computer.
- 24 channel digital sound desk
- d&b Audiotechnik Y & Q-series based loudspeaker system with associated amplification
The loudspeaker system comprises 4 main cabinets. These are mounted in the truss rig to give a stereo image across the seating area. A sub is positioned to the side of the stage.
These may be shared with adjacent theSpaceUK venues so please let us know if you wish to use any of the following:
- 2 x Shure SM58 microphones with stands.
- 1 x DI box for electric pianos etc.
16-channel multicore between the stage and control position.
We are required to consider neighbours at night with respect to sound levels. At all our venues staff reserve the right to limit sound levels for the sake of other venues or building users, or for reasons of public health.
The Fleming Theatre has an installed video projector and screen available for your use. The screen, fitted above the stage area at the rear, is 4m wide by 3m and is retractable.
The projection source is HDMI (using a Cat5 extender) from the control position - the projector cannot be fed from the stage.
Please contact your assigned pre-production manager to discuss your projection plans in any case.
Bringing additional equipment
This venue can support a range of additional equipment to enhance your show, subject to the limitations of time. As there are further constraints of space, connections and power any use of your own equipment must be discussed with your Pre-Production Manager in advance; please see our FAQ regarding electrical equipment.
The shows that are most successful are those that maintain good communication with their Pre-Production Manager throughout their development.
Aside from generally keeping us in the loop with your plans, and responding to requests for information by given deadlines, you must contact us in good time if:
- you wish to use the space differently;
- you want to hang anything from the scaffolding or truss;
- your show requires the use of a projector;
- you are planning on bringing any of your own (or hired) equipment;
- you wish to use any special effects;
- you have any items of set that require access or storage considerations;
- you would like advice on making the most of the venue or achieving a particular artistic effect; or
- you are unsure about any aspect of your arrival, load-in, technical rehearsal or show day routine that is not answered in the FAQs.
Plans and downloads