theSpace on the Mile - Space 3
Radisson Blu Hotel (Great Scots Hall)
80 High Street
Address - for flyer & poster delivery
No earlier than 0900 on Monday July 29th 2019 to:
Venue 43 Symposium Hall
King Khalid Building
The Royal College of Surgeons
Box Office Phone Number
+44 (0)131 510 2382
Box Office Email
Production Team Phone Number
+44 (0)131 510 2390
Production Team Email
If arriving by train, leave Edinburgh Waverley Station by the main exit on to Waverley Bridge and turn left. At the mini roundabout cross over onto Cockburn Street. At the top of Cockburn Street turn left on to the Royal Mile.
The Radisson Blu Hotel is on the right just after the junction with North Bridge/South Bridge. Go in to the main entrance of the hotel, and past the lifts on the right take the staircase up to the venue.
The Radisson has a limited number of spaces in its underground car park. From the Royal Mile, turn down Niddry Street, left onto Cowgate and then left up Blackfriars Street. There is a daily charge.
Set and props must be loaded in through the main front entrance of the hotel, with consideration given to hotel guests. There is a flight of stairs, or the main hotel lift up one floor. Discuss any specific load-in requirements with your Pre-Production Manager.
The stage area is approximately 6 x 4m and 30cm high. It is constructed from painted staging units, so to preserve the finish please ensure your costume does not use shoes with stiletto heels. Small spike marks are permitted - we advise initialling them or using coloured tape to distinguish them, and cut rather than tearing for longevity.
Entrances are provided at stage left, stage right and upstage centre. Crossover is possible between the three entrances.
Onstage height clearance is approximately 2.3m.
The venue has a hard floor and is fully enclosed with black drapes. The auditorium is flat and seats 58 audience and one FOH manager.
There is no dedicated dressing room at the venue; access to the performance space is permitted only during your slot so we advise arriving ready to start. There are toilets on the main ground floor of the hotel below the theatre, though these are not suitable for use as a make up area.
There is very limited storage for large and bulky items of scenery, props etc.; this is located in a storeroom through some double doors from the venue, at the stage left side. Let us know in advance about your set design plans.
Please make your Pre-Production Manager aware of any fragile items you wish to use, and ensure they are carefully wrapped and packed in storage to avoid breakage by others in the confined, dark area.
Costumes should be taken away with you or stored in large cases/crates for protection. Anything required for show promotion or performances elsewhere must be taken away daily as no access is possible outside your slot. Refer to the FAQ for details of permitted and restricted set design materials.
The lighting and sound control position is in the auditorium at the rear. There is no comms or cue light system to backstage.
The venue has a complete and flexible conventional lighting rig. The rig is mounted on a truss structure that encloses the stage. Your technical rehearsal will go more smoothly if your lighting designer can contact us in advance with your requirements and/or how you are planning to use the rig.
The fixed-focus general cover comprises:
- Front light: 9x 500w fresnels/Parnels in groups of three covering SL, CS and SR. Gelled in Lee Filters 009 (Pale Amber Gold).
- Back light: 3x 500w fresnels/Parnels mounted to the rear of the stage. Open white, can be re-gelled
- Side light: 4x 500w fresnels/Parnels. Open white, can be re-gelled
Specials may be re-focussed to your design (gel not provided - bring your own to suit your design). Please note that due to power constraints we may need to limit the number of specials you use.
- 4 x 500w profiles in pairs in the rear corners of the auditorium
- 4 x 500w profiles on the front truss.
- 3 x 500w fresnels/Parnels on the front truss.
- 2 x 500w Coda Floods controlled from the lighting console (1 channel).
- 18 channels of dimming.
- 13 channels used for fixed house rig, leaving 5 channels available for specials.
- Zero88 Jester (or similar) 24-channel desk, can be operated in 2-preset manual or memory mode.
The sound system is designed primarily for playback of music and effects.
Sound reinforcement, except for certain live music acts, is not necessary in this venue.
- 1 compact disc player.
- 3.5mm mini-jack cable supplied to connect additional equipment such as an MP3 player or laptop computer.
- 8 channel analogue sound desk.
- 2 channel power amplifier
- 2x Tannoy V8 or V12 loudspeakers
The speakers are mounted on stands situated behind the drapes to the left and right of the stage.
These may be shared with adjacent theSpaceUK venues so please let us know if you wish to use any of the following:
- 2 x Shure SM58 microphones with stands.
- 1 x DI box for electric pianos etc.
Audio multicore between the stage and control position.
The venue is on its own floor, however sound can carry from here to the hotel lobby and so care should be taken not to disturb the normal activities of the hotel. At all our venues staff reserve the right to limit sound levels for the sake of other venues or building users, or for reasons or public health.
Please see our FAQ on projection - we don't provide a projector or screen, and our staff are not trained in the operation of projectors. Projection effects are particularly hard to achieve in this venue due to height clearance, stage size and lack of hanging space for a projector. We do not recommend the use of projection in this venue so please let us know in advance if you wish to use it in your performance so we can work out the ideal arrangement.
Projectors can be used on stage, or hung from the truss and left in situ (if space is available and lights are not impeded; seek advice as there are limitations). A long cable will be required to reach the control position.
Screens may be floor standing (preferably) or hung from the truss supporting the upstage drapes.
Bringing additional equipment
This venue can support a limited range of additional equipment to enhance your show. As there are constraints of space, time, connections and power any use of your own equipment must be discussed with your Pre-Production Manager in advance; please see our FAQ regarding electrical equipment.
The shows that are most successful are those that maintain good communication with their Pre-Production Manager throughout their development.
Aside from generally keeping us in the loop with your plans, and responding to requests for information by given deadlines, you must contact us in good time if:
- you wish to use the space differently;
- you want to hang anything from the scaffolding or truss;
- your show requires the use of a projector;
- you are planning on bringing any of your own (or hired) equipment;
- you wish to use any special effects;
- you have any items of set that require access or storage considerations;
- you would like advice on making the most of the venue or achieving a particular artistic effect; or
- you are unsure about any aspect of your arrival, load-in, technical rehearsal or show day routine that is not answered in the FAQs.
Plans and downloads