theSpace on North Bridge - Perth
19 North Bridge
Address - for flyer & poster delivery
No earlier than 0900 on Monday July 29th 2019 to:
Venue 43 Symposium Hall
King Khalid Building
The Royal College of Surgeons
Box Office Phone Number
+44 (0)131 510 2386
Box Office Email
Production Team Phone Number
+44 (0)131 510 2393
Production Team Email
If arriving by train, leave Edinburgh Waverley Station by the main exit on to Waverley Bridge and turn left onto Market Street and then turn right onto Scotsman Steps and take the stairs up. At the top, turn right on North Bridge and the hotel will be on your left.
Go in to the main entrance of the hotel and up the central stairs, turning right on the stairs to the first floor area which comprises theSpace on North Bridge.
Set and props must be loaded in through the main front entrance of the hotel, with consideration given to hotel guests. There is a flight of stairs or a passenger lift (lift can take small items only). Discuss any specific load-in requirements with your Pre-Production Manager.
The stage area is approximately 5 x 3m and is 2cm thick. It is covered with black painted hardboard, so to preserve the finish please ensure your costume does not use shoes with stiletto heels.
Onstage height clearance is approximately 2.5m.
Small spike marks are permitted - we advise initialling them or using coloured tape to distinguish them, and cut rather than tearing for longevity.
Entrances are provided at upstage left and upstage right. Crossover is possible between the entrances.
The venue is fully carpeted and fully enclosed with black drapes. Seating is on three sides; the auditorium seats 50 audience and one FOH manager.
There is a room shared between all three theatres that serves as a storage space and a dressing space. While it is accessible outside performance times, space is tight and little privacy is available. There are ladies' and gents' toilets adjacent which are shared with audiences.
There is limited storage for large and bulky items of scenery, props etc., which is shared with the adjacent theatre; this is split between the theatre and an adjacent room. Let us know in advance about your set design plans so we can help accommodate your wishes.
Please make your Pre-Production Manager aware of any fragile items you wish to use, and ensure they are carefully wrapped and packed in storage to avoid breakage by others in the busy storage areas.
Costumes should be taken away with you or stored in large cases/crates for protection. Refer to the FAQ for details of permitted and restricted set design materials.
The lighting and sound control position is in the auditorium. There is no comms or cue light system to backstage.
The venue has a fully-LED lighting rig. Lights are hung from a truss box around the edge of the stage area.
Your technical rehearsal will go more smoothly if your lighting designer can contact us in advance with your requirements and/or how you are planning to use the rig.
This is rigged with Briteq 100EC LED Fresnel MK2s. These are open-white LED fixtures. The focus is fixed although you may gel the rig if you choose.
- Front light: 5x LED Fresnels.
- Side light: 4x LED Fresnels.
- Back light: 2x LED fresnels mounted to the rear of the stage.
- Spots: 3x ETC LUSTR+ LED Source 4 fixed-degree profiles mounted on the downstage truss.
- Colour Wash: 4x Lanta Fireball Tri LED PAR 64s mounted on the side trusses.
- 2 x Briteq COB blinders controlled from the lighting console.
- ETC ColourSource desk, can be operated in 2-preset manual or memory mode.
The sound system is designed primarily for playback of music and effects.
Sound reinforcement, except for certain live music acts, is not necessary in this venue.
- 1 compact disc player.
- 3.5mm mini-jack cable supplied to connect additional equipment such as an MP3 player or laptop computer.
- 8 channel analogue sound desk.
- 2 channel power amplifier
- 2x Nexo PS8 loudspeakers
Speakers are arranged in a stereo configuration.
These may be shared with adjacent venues so please let us know if you wish to use any of the following:
- 2 x Shure SM58 microphones with stands.
- 1 x DI box for electric pianos etc.
Audio multicore between the stage and control position.
Performances in the adjacent theatre must be considered with respect to sound spill.
At all our venues staff reserve the right to limit sound levels for the sake of other venues or building users, or for reasons or public health.
Please see our FAQ on projection - we don't provide a projector or screen, and our staff are not trained in the operation of projectors. Please let us know in advance if you wish to use it in your performance so we can work out the ideal arrangement.
Screens may be floor standing (preferably) or hung from the upstage truss.
Bringing additional equipment
There is very limited scope for adding your own lighting fixtures due to power constraints, and this is rarely found necessary.
Any use of your own equipment must be discussed with your Pre-Production Manager in advance; please see our FAQ regarding electrical equipment.
The shows that are most successful are those that maintain good communication with their Pre-Production Manager throughout their development.
Aside from generally keeping us in the loop with your plans, and responding to requests for information by given deadlines, you must contact us in good time if:
- you wish to use the space differently;
- you want to hang anything from the truss;
- your show requires the use of a projector;
- you are planning on bringing any of your own (or hired) equipment;
- you wish to use any special effects;
- you have any items of set that require access or storage considerations;
- you would like advice on making the most of the venue or achieving a particular artistic effect; or
- you are unsure about any aspect of your arrival, load-in, technical rehearsal or show day routine that is not answered in the FAQs.
Plans and downloads